Herbert Macgolfin Shelton, N.D., (October 6, 1895 – January 1, 1985) was an American naturopath, natural medicine proponent, writer, peacemonger, vegetarian, supporter of rawism as well as fasting. Shelton was nominated by the American Vegetarian Party to run as its prospect for Head of state of the United States in 1956. He saw himself as the champion of initial Natural hygiene concepts from the 1830s.
Shelton was born upon October 6, 1895 in Wylie, Texas to Thomas Mitchell Shelton and also Mary Frances Gutherie Shelton, that adhered Christians. As a kid, Shelton took a passion in animals, especially their behaviors when sick as compared with when well. He was especially fascinated by their going on a fast when the ranch animals came to be sick.
Shelton attended Bernarr Macfadden’s University of Physcultopathy in Chicago and interned at Crane’s Mental hospital in Elmhurst, Illinois. He also went to Lindlahr University of Natural Therapeutics for post-graduate work and also worked in at Lindlahr’s and Sahler’s Insane asylums. Shelton later on continued post-graduate operate at Peerless College of Chiropractic in Illinois as well as worked in an internship at Crandall Health and wellness College in Pennsylvania.
In 1921, he wed Ida Pape, researched at the American College of Chiropractic care, and finished from the American School of Naturopathy with a Physician of Naturopathy (ND). He preached that cooking meals denatures it, which a healthy body has the capability to restore itself from ailment without clinical intervention. Heavily criticized by his contemporaries for advocating starting a fast over medical treatment, Shelton’s job remains pertinent as an early impact of the raw meals movement.
In 1922, Shelton self-published his first e-book, Fundamentals of Nature Cure. Seeing value in the Hygienic Activity (released in 1832 by Dr. Isaac Jennings and Sylvester Graham), he transformed the title of this very first e-book to An Intro to Organic Hygiene. A later book, The Scientific research and Fine Fine art of Fasting, applied an influence on Mahatma Gandhi, that got in touch with the publication prior to carrying out public fasts.
Shelton is accepted with revitalizing the Natural Health activity established by Sylvester Graham. He ran a wellness college in San Antonio, Texas even after becoming bedridden. Joel Fuhrman credits recovering from an ankle joint injury to a 46-day fast at Dr. Shelton’s Health School.
A peacemonger, Shelton was jailed in 1917 for making an anti-draft declaration in public.
In 1927, he was arrested, put behind bars, and also fined three times for exercising medication without a permit. These apprehensions proceeded periodically with the next 3 years while he continuouslied lecture as well as campaign for his concepts. 
In 1932, Shelton was imprisoned repeatedly for engaging in medicine without a license. Found guilty of violating the Medical Practice Act, he offered 30 days on Rikers Island.
In 1942, Shelton was demanded with negligent homicide and also ‘treating as well as providing to treat a human doing without a state medical license’ for depriving a person to fatality. The instance was never ever tried and costs were dropped.
In 1978, an additional person died at one of his institutions, this moment apparently of a heart strike. After a two-year-long court battle, Shelton shed the suit for neglect as well as was bankrupted by the judgment. The college shut as a result.
By 1972, at the age of 77, he was completely bedridden from a degenerative neuro-muscular condition believed to be Parkinson’s disease. He passed away thirteen years later on, not able to enhance his very own health and wellness despite lots of attempts. His contemporaries were stunned to see him unable to stroll, talk generally, or write.
Toward completion of his life, the majority of his succeeding books were dictated in a whisper. He proceeded his involvement in Dr Shelton’s Health and wellness Institution (now the seventh organization under that name).
A biography of Shelton was published in 1989, Yours for Health: The Life and also Times of Herbert M. Shelton by Jean A. Oswald, Franklin Works, Franklin, Wisconsin ISBN 0-9620490-0-X
- Shelton, Herbert M. An Overview to Organic Hygiene. (Sep. 1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Colds (Intense Coryza) and Associated Subjects. (Sep. 1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Facts About Fasting (1977).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Fasting Can Save Your Life (Sep. 1996 ).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Fasting for Renewal of Life. (1995)
- Shelton, Herbert M. (1935). The Hygienic System, Vol. II: Food and also Diet. San Antonio, Texas: Collection of New Atlantis. ISBN 1-57179-415-8. OCLC 32372334.
- Shelton, Herbert M. (1934). The Hygienic System: Starting a fast and Sun Bathing, Vol. III: Fasting and Sunlight Bath time for Healing Disease. San Antonio, Texas: self-published. OCLC 8413951.
- The Hygienic System: Vol VI Orthopathy, 1939, Dr. Shelton’s Health and wellness Schoo, San Antonio, Texas. 
- Shelton, Herbert M. Food and Feeding. Kessinger Publishing Firm ISBN 0766145905 (Jan. 2003).
Food as well as Feeding. Kessinger Posting Business ISBN 0-7661-4590-5 (Jan. 2003).
- Shelton, Herbert M. et al., Getting Well. Health Study. UPC/ ISBN 0-7873-0778-5 (June 1993).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Health for All. (Jan. 1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Health for the Millions. (1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Human Elegance: Its Society and Hygiene (1039 pages)
- Shelton, Herbert M. Human Life Its Philosophy and also Regulations: An Exposition of the Principles as well as Practices of Orthopathy. (Jan 1996). ISBN 1564597148
- Shelton, Herbert M. History of All-natural Hygiene and Concepts of Organic Hygiene – Teachings of Doctors Jennings, Graham, Trall and Tilden. (Jan. 1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Hygienic Review. (Sep 1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. The Liver and Its Complaints. (Sep. 1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Living Life to Live It Longer. (Sep. 1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Natural Hygiene: Man’s Pristine Way of Life. Library of New Atlantis, Incorporated UPC/ ISBN 1-57179-407-7 (Feb. 2003).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Natural Health: The Beautiful Method of Life (1994).
- Shelton, Herbert M./ Willard, Jo/ Oswald, Jean A. The Original Natural Health Weight-loss Diet Publication (1986) Keats Posting, Inc. New Canaan, Connecticut ISBN 0-87983-376-9
- Shelton, Herbert M. Orthobionomics: Sanitary System. (Sep. 1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Rubies in the Sand
- Shelton, Herbert M. Science and Great Fine art of Meals as well as Nutrition. (1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. The Science and Art of Natural Hygiene (420 pages)
- Shelton, Herbert M. Superior Nutrition (197 pages)
- Shelton, Herbert M. Syphilis: Werewolf of Medicine. (Sep. 1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. Vaccine and Serum Evils. (Sep. 1996).
- Shelton, Herbert M. et al. The Virgin Birth: The Famous Debate Between Herbert M. Shelton as well as George R. Clements. Health and wellness Study. UPC/ ISBN 0-7873-1173-1 (Jan. 1998).